Horns of Hattin is one of the locations in the holy land associated with the “Sermon of the Mount”. It is also the site of several more biblical and historical events. In addition, it is an amazing viewpoint from where you can see Lake Kinneret, Mount Arbel, and Mount Tabor.
|Short version||3.5 Km|
|Level||Easy - Moderate|
|Best||Dec - April|
|Possible||Nov - May
(Short Version All year)
By Bus: Take line #42 from Tiberias. Get off in “Kfar Zeitim” and walk back about 500 meters to the starting point.
- Start by following the ‡Blue‡ marked dirt road (Also part of the Jesus Trail) for about 1.6 km, unit a junction with a ‡Black‡ marked dirt road (2).
- Turn left and start climbing uphill following the ‡Black‡ markers. At the end of the steep section of the climb, we rejoin the Jesus Trail. Continue with the ‡Black‡ markers for about 2 Kilometers until a junction with a ‡Blue‡ marked trail (3).
- Turn left and hike along the ‡Blue‡ marked trail up until the Summit of the “Horns of Hattin” (4).
- you are now on the south horn, a perfect spot for an extended break to enjoy the amazing 360° panorama and read/listen about the famous battle between Saladin and the Crusaders that took place just below the hill about 1,000 years ago.
- From the summit, there is an amazing panorama. Mount Arbel just below us, the sea of Galilee, Golan Heights, Galilee mountains and Mount Tabor.
Short Version: Park at Nebi Shauyb (5) and climb to the summit (4) and back. (about 3.5 kilometers).
- Continue with ‡Blue‡ marked trail going down from the North horn down to the volcanic crater. Notice the ruins of the ancient walls of the biblical town. Cross the crater and climb on the North horn for another great view of the area.
- The trail continues to be ‡Blue‡ marked and descends now steeply on the northern slope all the way down to the parking of the Nebi Shuayb tomb (5).
- From Nebi Shuayb just walk down the paved road to the starting point (1).