Climb on the famous Mount Tabor (Mountain of Transfiguration). Mount tabor is mentioned 7 times in the old testament and was the setting for the biblical story of Deborah the prophet. Years later it was the location where Jesus transfigured with bright rays of light, in front of his apostles.
|Short versions||3.0 Km|
|Climb||300 m (Short version almost Flat)|
|Best||Dec - April|
|/ Start Point|
Biblical References –
Our Hike starts at the “Tabor Terminal” (accessible also with public transport). This is the last point on the road that can be reached by bus. (After that the road becomes too narrow and only passenger cars are allowed).
For the short version continue by car all the way up the winding road to the upper parking location.
Get the Hiking Map and GPS file for just 5$
- Start by following the ‡Green‡ markers. (Also a part of the INT) up the mountain. The path is shady inside the forest.
- After about 0.5 Km the path reaches a dirt road. Turn left on the dirt road, and after a few minutes look out as the ‡Green‡ markers leave the dirt road to the right (2) and start to climb steeply through the forest.
- After another 0.5 Km of a steep climb we reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marked trail. Continue straight with the ‡Green‡ markers and after a few minutes the trail meets a paved road.
- Ignore this road and continue a little further to meet another road. (3) which is the main entrance to the Mount Tabor church complex. (And the start of the short version of this hike)
- Turn left and follow the road until the church of transfiguration.
Church of the Transfiguration
The Church you see today, the Church of the Transfiguration, is fairly recent and was built by the Franciscans in 1924. In size, it is one of the largest in the Holy Land. It was built on the ruins of an ancient (4th–6th century) Byzantine church and a 12th-century church of the Crusader Kingdom period. (Further reading) Opening Hours: Usually 08:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00.
Listen to Mathew Chapter 17 – The Transfiguration
- After the visit to the church itself, make your way to the Right (south) balcony for a great view of the surrounding area. Standing in this spot we can understand why this location was an inspiration to praise god’s creation in Psalms 89:12 “ Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in thy name.”
- Retrace your steps back to point (3). Turn left and follow the path now marked ‡Black‡. This trail circles around the summit of mount Tabor and gives great views each time to a different direction.
- The trail passes underneath pine trees and during later winter and early spring is full of wildflowers. Find an opening between the trees and look south to the Ksalot Valley 400 meters below. A great spot to relax and learn about one of the most famous biblical battles.
Battle of Mount Tabor
The Israelites marched to Mount Tabor. Their movements were reported to Sisera, who hastened to the Wadi Kishon, near Mount Tabor. However, a downpour had soaked the ground in the area, significantly slowing the Canaanite chariots in the ensuing mud. The chariots were now almost useless and, when Barak’s army attacked from Mount Tabor, the Canaanites faltered. (Further reading in Wikipedia)
Listen Judges 4 – Battle of Deborah the prophet with the Canaanite
- Continue to encircle Mount Tabor on the ‡Black‡. marked trail with the views gradually changing from the south towards the east until a junction with a ‡Blue‡ marked trail. (4)
- If you took the short version and your car is parked at the top of the mountain continue the full circle of the mountain with the ‡Black‡ markers.
- If you are taking the full version, turn right on the ‡Blue‡ markers (Also the INT) and start the steep hike down from Mount Tabor. After about 800 m the trail crosses a wide dirt road and continues to descend.
- Don’t! continue with it. Turn left and walk on the unmarked dirt road for about 1.5 km unitil you reach again the ‡Green‡ markers (2). (Where we started the ascend in the beginning).
- Follow the ‡Green‡ markers from the start of the hike for another 0.5 km until the trail-head. (1)
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
- Detailed Hiking Map of the route area optimized for printing on an A4 size paper or for browsing on your device.
- Zoomed in Maps for the sensitive areas (When needed).
- GPS track files for navigation on your IOS/Android App.
- Map Legend and labels are in English
Automatic immediate email with download links upon checkout!