Our Hike in Wadi Qelt (Ein Prat) will take you through Springs, Pools, deep Canyons, and an old Monastery. If you are not up to a long Hike, use our GuideBook to visit the main attractions of Wadi Qelt without sweating.
|Short versions||1 - 5 Km|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
(Short version - All year)
- Important Note: Most of the hike is on rocky terrain. There are some exposed sections equipped with metal handles.
- Starting point – parking area at Ein Prat Natural Reserve (1). (entrance fee required)
- Follow the ‡Blue‡ marker upstream on the road for 200 m to reach Ein Prat (Spring). (2)
- Hanging Up on the southern cliffs high above the valley, you can see the Faran monastery.
- Retrace to the starting point and continue with the ‡Red‡ markers downstream for about 700 m until the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marker. (3)
- Keep right on the ‡Blue‡ marker into the canyon.
- Stay with the ‡Blue‡ markers for about 3.5 Km along the stream until the junction with the ‡Red‡ markers. (4).
- For the short version, walk as long as you feel like along the canyon and retrace your steps.
- This is the most exciting part of the route. The canyon becomes deeper, with many small waterfalls and pools.
- From time to time, you should notice the ruins of ancient aqueducts that carried the water of Ein Prat to Jericho in ancient times.
- At point (4) The ‡Red‡ markers continue downstream all the way to St. George monastery. A distance of about About 12 Km.
- However, we turn left on the ‡Red‡ markers. Cross the stream and climb up on the north ridge of the canyon.
- This trail is much less crowded and offers a fantastic Birds-Eye view over the Canyon you just walked!!
- Follow this trail for 3.5 Km back to point (3).
- Continue an additional 700 m to reach your car. (1)
- Complement the day with the classic view of St. George Monastery from cliffs on the opposite side of the Canyon.
- Check out the full details in our GuideBook.
- Use the extra maps of the viewpoint area that are supplied together with the detailed hiking map to find your way easily.