Turn the common visit to the Banias Natural Reserve into a fantastic day hike. Get away from the crowds and discover secluded picnic spots along the stream.
|Level||Easy - Medium|
|/ Start Point|
- Begin with a tour of the Springs, Banias Ruins, and the Pan Temple. (information on these landmarks here)
- When done, start following the Blue trail downstream along the Banias.
- You will reach after a few minutes the restored watermill.
- There are plenty of magical spots for picnicking by the water.
- After about 2 km, you will reach the observation point that overlooks the Banias Falls from the top.
- A few meters after that, the trail descends to the riverbed, crosses the stream and reached a junction with a Red trail (2).
- Turn right and follow the Blue trail to reach the foot of the Banias Falls.
- Retrace your steps to the junction and at the junction, follow the Red trail.
- After a short distance, you will meet the “Hanging Trial”. A short, exciting section of trail hanging from the cliffs of the gorge above the water.
- The trail is “One Way”, so you need to continue on the Red trail until you reach the entrance to the “Hanging Trail” (3).
- More information on the waterfall and hanging trail here.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL MAP AND GPS FILE FOR JUST 5$
- Walk this exciting section and return on the Red trailback to point (3).
- Start following the Black trail downstream.
- After 100 meters, you will reach a “one-way” gate that marks the end of the paid area of the Banias reserve. (After you pass it, you cannot go back!).
- About 250 meters further, you will see an unmarked trail branching left towards the riverbed. Go down towards the stream. It leads to a beautiful picnic spot by the water where there is also an old Syrian tank that fell here in 1967. That tank’s ruin adds to the atmosphere of the place.
- Continue downstream on the Black trail for about 1 Km until a junction with a Red trail (4).
- Branch right onto the Red trail that passes near the water stream with many possibilities for pleasant resting spots.
- After about 1.5 Km, the red trail meets again with the black dirt road. Follow the Black dirt road on a bridge across the Hermon (Banias) river and up to moshav Shear Yashuv.
- At the end of the marked trail walk through the moshav until the exit to the main road #99, where there is a bus stop.