A fantastic hike that has it all. Water flowing all year round, a beautiful crusader fortress, great views, and lovely Mediterranean forest.
|Best||Nov - May|
- Starting Point: Parking lot at the intersection of the ‡Red‡ and ‡Black‡ trails (1).
- Start walking on the ‡Red‡ marked dirt road. After about 1.5 Km, the dirt road ends, the ‡Red‡ marking continues on a narrow footpath.
- Soon you get a fantastic view on the Monfort Fortress. The trail goes down and climbs back and enters the fortress (2).
- After visiting the site, continue down, following the ‡Red‡ trail until you reach the riverbed of the Kziv Stream (3).
- Turn right and follow the dirt road with ‡Green‡ markers. After about 1300 meters you will reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ trail (4).
- The trail is passing now very close to the water and crosses the stream several times. When the water level is low, you can stay dry by crossing on big stones. However, when it’s high, you will get your feet wet. (We recommend to bring extra shoes or a pair of sandals for this section).
- The landscape is like paradise, with huge trees, crystal clear water, and plenty of spots for a picnic.
- After about 1.5 Km, you will reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ trail (5).
- Ignore it at continue with the ‡Green‡ trail for about 400 meters until you reach a beautiful, open rocky area (6).
- On the right (south) bank, Ein Tamir spring is seeping from a cave. You can walk into the cave with a flashlight.
- Retrace your steps back to (5). Turn left and start climbing out of the creek on the ‡Black‡ trail.
- After about half a kilometer of climbing, you will reach a junction with a ‡Blue‡ trail (7).
- You can either continue straight with the ‡Black‡ markers for another 1.5 Kilometers until the starting point, Or you can add a 2 Km side-trip to a fantastic viewpoint on the Monfort castle.
- For the side-trip, follow the circular ‡Blue‡ trail. When the path reaches the end of the ridge you get an amazing view of the castle and the surrounding Galilee mountains.