The Red Canyon is a “classic”, easy and accessible hike. The colorful and narrow Red Canyon gorge gives a good taste of desert hiking without sweating too much.
|Short versions||2 Km|
|Best||Nov - Apr|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
|/ Start Point|
- Transportation: By Car – from the Google-Maps location, Turn right on the Red marked dirt road and follow it for 1 km until the trailhead. By Bus – You will have to walk the above 1 Kilometer.
- The hike is straightforward, but includes a few sections with metal wedges and ladders inside the narrow canyon.
The “Red Canyon” is a short section of Wadi Shani that starts its way in the Sinai Desert (Egypt), crosses the border, and continues through the Eilat Mountains. At some point, the wadi carves its way deep into red sandstone, creating a narrow and impressive canyon. This section is known as the “Red Canyon”. A hike through the Red Canyon is one of the most popular routes in the Eilat Mountains.
- The starting point for the walk: Parking area at the end of the dirt road (1).
- Follow the ‡Green‡ markers down the Wadi. In the beginning, the Wadi is wide, but after a few hundred meters, the walls start closing, and we enter the canyon on a natural rock slide with handles. (2)
- Over the next 500 m, we pass a series of small dry waterfalls, and sharp turns as the canyon becomes narrower, reaching a width of less than 2 meters. The colors are a mix of Red, Brown, and Yellow. A real natural Gem!!
- After this section, you will clearly understand where the nickname “Red Canyon” came from!
- We reach a junction with a ‡Black‡ marked trail. (3)
- For the short version, turn right on the ‡Black‡ markers to return to the starting point.
- Continue following the ‡Green‡ markers for about 1.5 km down the wide Wadi until a junction with another ‡Black‡ marked trail. (4)
- Turn right and climb gently up the wadi on the ‡Black‡ marked wadi, until a tall, dry waterfall blocks the way.
- The trail now climbs steeply on the left (East) bank to the head of the waterfall (5).
- It is a great resting spot with excellent views.
- Continue another 300 m with the ‡Black‡ markers until a junction with a ‡Red‡ marked trail. Turn right and follow it for 1 km, back to the starting point.