The unique landscape on a white Salt Mountain. Mount Sodom’s soil containing 80% Salt creates a unique landscape that cannot be found anywhere else. Deep creeks and special rock formations all in bright white colors. It is also the setting of the Biblical story of Sodom and Gomorrah, which is mentioned more than 20 times in both the old and new testaments.
|Short versions||7.5 Km|
|Best||Dec - Mar|
|Possible||Nov - Apr|
- The hike is not accessible with public transport but can be reached with a short Taxi ride from the Ein Bokek hotels complex.
- The descend from mount Sodom to the Dead Sea is very steep and includes several metal ladders!)
Biblical References (Few examples out of many) –
Mount Sodom is a relatively young mountain that began its rise only a few hundreds of thousands of years ago and still continues to grow taller now at a rate of 3.5 millimeters (0.14 Inch) a year.
Earth Movements, pressing down on the layers of salt, created Mount Sodom. It is composed of 80% salt, capped by a thin layer of limestone and clay. It rises 260 meters above the Dead Sea and creates a unique landscape scenery of bright white soil penetrated by winding crevices.
- Start Climbing on the ‡Blue‡ marked trail (1). follow it for a total of 1.4 Km, The initial climb is steep but then the trail makes a sharp left and levels. We have now on our right the cliffs of mount Sodom and on our left the scenery of the southern area of the Dead Sea.
- After a few hundred meters the trail makes a sharp right turn and resumes climbing until a junction with a ‡Red‡ marked trail coming from the right. (2)
- Turn Right with the ‡Red‡ markers for a short but steep climb to the top of a hill and a great view-point. A perfect spot for an extended break to rest from the climb and enjoy the panoramic view. It is also the perfect spot to tell the story of Sodom and Gomorrah that occurred in the valley just below us thousands of years ago.
- Descend on the other side of the hill and turn right back on the ‡Blue‡ marked trail.
- The trail now traverses the relatively flat summit of mount Sodom giving us a chance to explore its unique landscape. After about one kilometer, just before the trail makes a sharp left turn, we reach another fantastic viewpoint towards the Dead Sea and the Moav mountains across the border in Jordan.
- Continue on the ‡Blue‡ marked trail and after a few hundred meters it will begin to descend on the other side of the mountain until we meet a wide dirt road (3).
- Turn left on the dirt road and continue following ‡Blue‡ markers for 1.3 Km, until reaching a junction of dirt roads. (4)
- Turn left on the ‡Black‡ marked dirt road and start climbing east. After about a Kilometer you reach a junction with a #Red# marked trail (5). (The short version rejoins here).
- Continue with the ‡Black‡ markers for another 0.8 Km until a parking area and an organized lookout point.
- The dirt road now becomes a trail and start descending the cliff back to the main road #90. The steep sections are equipped with wooden steps and metal ladders.
- After going down about 250 steps and 3 ladders we reach the main road (6).
- Turn left and walk along the main road (On its left side) about 2.5 Km back to the starting point (1).
- After about 1.7 Km we can spot to our left the famous “Lot’s wife” rock pillar associated with the location where Lot’s wife looked back, and was turned into a pillar of salt.
Get the Detailed Hiking Maps and GPS files for this hike for just 5$
Automatic immediate email with a download links upon checkout!