Hike The Ktalav Red Tree Wadi. On the way down enjoy wide-open views on the Judean mountain ridges. Then Hike up inside the Ktalav Wadi through the dense forest, dotted with the Reddish Ktalav trees.
|Short versions||N / A|
|Best||Dec - Apr|
|/ Start Point|
Get the Hiking Map and GPS file for just 5$
- Starting point – parking area near BarBahar restaurant (1).
- This a very popular Cafe/Restaurant (On weekends) with a big outdoor balcony overlooking the mountains.
- Start following the ‡Black‡ marked dirt road parallel to the main road.
- After about 300 m the road will become a footpath and start descending.
- After another 250 m, you will arrive at a junction with a ‡Red‡ marked trail (5). Ignore it and continue with the ‡Black‡ markers.
- On your way, you will pass Giora Spring (usually dry) and after 600 m you will meet the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marked trail (2).
- Turn left and follow the ‡Blue‡ markers. The trail follows the slope of the Wadi about 100 m above the bottom. After about 2 Km you will arrive at a junction with a ‡Green‡ marker (3).
- Turn right and follow the ‡Green‡ marker. After 100 m you will arrive at an old Muslim grave called “Dir a Sheich”. The contrast of the white ruins against the green forest makes a very pretty spot. It is surrounded by fruit trees and spring flowers and makes a great excuse for an extended break.
- Continue for another 800 m on with the ‡Green‡ markers until you meet the bed of the Ktalav Wadi and a junction with ‡Black‡ markers (4).
- The Wadi received its name from the Red Ktalav tree (Arbutus andrachne) that populates its forest.
- Turn right and follow the ‡Black‡ markers up the Wadi.
- It’s a beautiful and fun section. A narrow and dark shaded wadi with occasional rocks to negotiate.
- On your way, you pass the Ktalav Spring, which may hold some water during the winter.
- Go up the Wadi for 1.5 Km until you reach the junction with the ‡Blue‡ marked trail (2). Continue further on the ‡Black‡ for another 600 m until the junction with the ‡Red‡ marked trail (5).
- Turn right and follow the ‡Red‡ markers circulating the northern side of the hill, Getting great views of the mountain between the trees from time to time.
- After 650 m you reach a junction with a dirt road and a ‡Black‡ marker. (6)
- Turn left to reach the starting point in 150 m (1)
Get this Hike's eBook for just 5$ !
Inside the PDF: (Just 5$)
- Quality Hiking Maps
- GPS Navigation App
- Zoom Maps for critical areas
- GPX File
- Hike Description
- All in English!
- Offline use
- HD Quality
- Optimized for Mobiles
Automatic immediate download link